Search This Blog

Saturday, November 28, 2009

My First Huarache Sandal

What is an Huarache Sandal?
Tarahumara Indians are a tribe residing in Northern Mexico and their footwear is minimalistic and is called Huaraches or akaraches.

I read with interest some of the articles on barefoot running and a website dedicated to barefoot running. Thats when I got a but curious and said lets build one. But here is what I did - bought a Bata Slipper, hacked the straps except the peice that goes between the toes and used cotton lace. It just takes couple of minutes to do the whole sandal.

Here are some before and after pictures






Making it was easy - and followed instructions on how to wear it ...I could not wait to test it and here is the video of my initial trial.



Couple of days later I ran a 3x400m - felt comfortable but there was a sense of non-shoes...Will i run with these? don't know as yet - whats blocking me now is the fear that my toes will bang against something on a trail run...I am not as a tough as those Tarahumara Indians....

If you want to try - you have the option of buying it - Barefoot Ted sells it for 60-70 US$ - the Bata hack costs 2$.

No comments: